Diamond 4 is a progression from Diamond 3 and is just one part of the Diamond Swim Academy pathway which is a all inclusive programme where swimmers will work on skills and technique and takes the non swimmer from his or her first splash to developing confidence and competence in the water. The swimmers will learn basic safety awareness and water confidence through to quality stroke technique and a variety of water skills.
In Diamond 4 the focus is on introducing new strokes whilst also concentrating on body movement, body position, coordination and submersion. Diamond 4 swimmers will work to achieving a number of outcomes, some of which will be recognised by Awards. An Award is made up of a badge and a certificate.
For Diamond 4 swimmer this includes the Swim England Stage 4 Award. It is also important that the swimmers gain the skills and technique on all strokes throughout their time at Diamond Swim Academy and will, therefore, also work towards achieving the most appropriate Swim England Distance and Swim England Stroke Awards within Diamond 4.
All outcomes will be achieved through innovative, fun teaching methods. Below shows the outcomes required to achieve the Swim England Stage 4 award:
Stage 4 Award outcomes
- Perform a sequence of changing shapes (minimum of three) whilst floating on the surface and demonstrate an understanding of floating.
- Push and glide from the wall towards the pool floor
- Kick 10 metres backstroke (one item of equipment optional).
- Kick 10 metres front crawl (one item of equipment optional).
- Kick 10 metres butterfly on the front or on the back.
- Kick 10 metres breaststroke on the front (one item of equipment optional).
- Perform a head first sculling action for 5 metres in a flat position on the back.
- Travel on back and log roll in one continuous movement onto front.
- Travel on front and log roll in one continuous movement onto back.
- Push and glide and swim 10 metres, choice of stroke is optional.