Diamond 1 is a progression from Ducklings advanced or the start of a child’s swimming journey.
Diamond 1 is just one part of the Diamond Swim Academy pathway which is an all inclusive programme where swimmers will work on skills and technique and takes the non swimmer from his or her first splash to developing confidence and competence in the water. The swimmers will learn basic safety awareness and water confidence through to quality stroke technique and a variety of water skills.
In Diamond 1 the focus is on water confidence, flotation, travelling and coordination. Diamond 1 swimmers will work to achieving a number of outcomes, some of which will be recognised by Awards. An Award is made up of a badge and a certificate.
For Diamond 1 swimmer this includes the Swim England Stage 1 Award. It is also important that the swimmers gain the skills and technique on all strokes throughout their time at Diamond Swim Academy and will, therefore, also work towards achieving the most appropriate Swim England Distance and Swim England Stroke Awards within Diamond 1.
All outcomes will be achieved through innovative, fun teaching methods. Below shows the outcomes required to achieve the Swim England Stage 1 award:
Stage 1 Award outcomes
- Enter the water safely
- Move forward for a distance of 5 metres, feet may be on or off the floor
- Move backwards for a distance of 5 metres, feet may be on or off the floor
- Move sideways for a distance of 5 metres, feet may be on or off the floor
- Scoop the water and wash the face
- Be comfortable with water showered from overhead
- Move from a flat floating position on the back and return to standing
- Move from a flat floating position on the front and return to standing.
- Push and glide in a flat position on the front from a wall
- Push and glide in a flat position on the back from a wall.
- Give examples of two pool rules.
- Exit the water safely.